Yoga has become an indispensable part of the Western street scene. Yoga classes are given everywhere and many sports and/or wellness institutes that take themselves seriously have a yoga room where yoga can be practiced with or without supervision. But if yoga is so good, why don’t we take up it en masse?
Why or why not practice yoga?
On the one hand, this has to do with people, every person is different and so not everyone will be charmed by yoga as a sports practice. On the other hand, you also want to get something out of it and some people do that perfectly with yoga, it can also be ultimate for the mind, and others don’t do that at all. They would rather run, swim or play a team sport. Fortunately, there are so many options.
All this does not alter the fact that sometimes you do something because it is good for a specific customer, a pain or an unpleasant feeling. The advantage of yoga is that you can apply it in a very targeted manner and without seeing yoga as a sport that brings you physical and mental balance.
Should you believe in it?
No, but that is the case with so many things that are applied within the alternative circuit. It’s scary because we can’t explain it and humans want to be able to explain everything. But hey, if something is bothering you and there is something that can help you, why wouldn’t you take advantage of it? Fortunately, more and more people see it this way and are making more and more use of the possibilities. Believe or not.
Source: Antonika, Pixabay
Yoga also has a number of exercises that can work for something in a very specific way. You do have to take them seriously, but it is good for body and mind anyway.
Always ensure good breathing. This is of course also important in everyday life, but is sometimes underestimated. In addition, many people have short and rapid breathing. Besides being tiring, it can also make you more nervous. Breathe in deeply through the nose and exhale calmly through the mouth. Do this a few times before you start the exercises.
“When the mind becomes silent, yoga arises” (Patanjali)
Blockages when speaking out
One person always and everywhere says what he or she wants to say, whether it is useful or not. On the other hand, there is the man or woman who has difficulty pronouncing something or who thinks about what he/she wanted to say a moment later. Then there may be a kind of blockage in the throat area and you can solve it with the lion pose. This pose provides extra blood to the throat and face and is good for the facial muscles.
- Sit quietly on your knees and place your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Make sure your upper body is tilted upwards and your face is looking straight ahead.
- Now stick your tongue out as far as you can and, if necessary, make a roaring (the lion’s) sound. Make sure the feeling comes from your toes! It has to be real, you have to feel it.
- Repeat this several times in quick succession.
Stress in the body
Stress, we all suffer from it sometimes, some more than others. Now there are all kinds of ways to calm down, but yoga also has an exercise that can help in the process, especially if you want to calm down quickly. The exercise brings harmony to the organs of the abdomen and pelvis and is good for lowering blood pressure.
- Sit quietly with your legs straight in front of you and your back straight.
- On an inhalation, raise your arms.
- To exhale, bring your upper body towards your legs. Make sure your back remains straight.
- Hold this position and place your hands on your lower legs or ankles. Don’t force anything or hold it tightly and breathe calmly.
- Finally, with an exhalation, bring your head (which you have kept straight) forward towards your knees.
- Hold the posture and with each exhalation you let go more and surrender.
- Send your breathing to the places in your body where you still feel and hold tension.
We all have it sometimes, digestion that does not go according to plan. Sometimes I just eat something wrong and then it’s over again. If this does not go away immediately, you can run to the doctor, you can also try something else before starting to take tablets.
- Stand quietly and bend your legs until your knees are on the floor and your buttocks are on your heels.
- Place your hands very relaxed on your thighs and breathe deeply and calmly.
- Hold this position for a moment, close your eyes and feel your breathing going through your body.
Bowing to multiple complaints
The forward bend applies to several complaints. It massages the nerves in the spine, stimulates the pancreas, sends more oxygen to the brain and face and relaxes the hip joint. The latter in particular often causes problems for many people, which often cannot be solved with tablets.
- Stand up straight and place your feet flat on the floor, hip-width apart.
- Make sure your head is also upright.
- As you exhale, bend forward with your hands together, pointing backwards and feel vertebra by vertebra from top to bottom. Become aware of your spine, its flexibility.
- With each exhalation you let go more and more and move your upper body further forward.
- The shoulders hang down loosely for a moment and the head feels smoothly on the torso.
- Stay in this position for a moment and continue to breathe thoroughly.
Space for the chest
This exercise, as it were, opens the chest and straightens the back. This also feels good for tense shoulders and gives space, as it were.
- Sit up straight and put your legs in a cross-legged position and if this doesn’t work, put your legs straight in front of you.
- Close your eyes and ensure that your back remains straight and your head is pointed upwards.
- Now raise the arms along the body in peace. Do not force it, but do raise your arms completely into the air and, as it were, pull your tailbone up as far as possible (do this while inhaling).
- Hold this position and continue to breathe well and deeply.
It goes without saying that you should repeat these exercises regularly and try not to do it in a wasted moment, but take some time for it. Just relax and do some exercises in an environment where you can concentrate well.