Chance of pregnancy

“How long will it take before I get pregnant?” is a common question from couples who want to have children. When you are trying to become pregnant, it is good to know the chance of pregnancy. This helps you have realistic expectations and reduces the chance of disappointment. The percentage chance of pregnancy you have depends on, among other things, when you have sex, your age and your lifestyle.

Getting pregnant: your menstrual cycle

The time has come: you have decided to have a baby. All around you you see proud parents behind the stroller and you see a number of pregnant women walking through the supermarket every day. There is a good chance that you are wondering when the time will come for you, when you will be pregnant. To estimate your chance of pregnancy, it is useful to know something about the menstrual cycle.
The menstrual cycle refers to the cyclical changes in the woman’s body. The time between the first day of your period until the next menstruation is counted as one cycle. The menstrual cycle therefore always starts with the first day of your menstrual bleeding. In the meantime, all kinds of things happen in your body under the influence of hormones. The average menstrual cycle is 28 days, but it can vary from woman to woman.

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

The follicle grows in the ovary

The follicle is released from the ovary (also called ovulation)
and can be fertilized

The fertilized egg implants in the uterus

If fertilization has not taken place, the egg is broken down, after which menstruation begins

 

Chance of pregnancy

The chance of pregnancy is actually quite small each time you have sex. There is only a limited time within the menstrual cycle during which a woman is fertile and can therefore become pregnant. After ovulation, an egg can only be fertilized for 12 to 24 hours. However, it is difficult to estimate when exactly you ovulate. In addition to the fertile period, there are a number of other factors that can influence the chance of pregnancy:

  • Age : you are most fertile between the ages of 21 and 25
  • Weight : if you have a normal weight, the chance of pregnancy is greater than if you are underweight or overweight. This is mainly due to your hormone balance, which is different (insufficient) when you do not have a healthy weight
  • Smoking : Women who smoke have a lower chance of becoming pregnant than women who do not smoke
  • Caffeine : caffeine, a substance in coffee, soft drinks and tea, reduces the chance of pregnancy
  • Alcohol : alcohol affects the function of the ovaries, which can cause ovulation to fail

It is good to know what percentage chance of pregnancy you have approximately every six months. This helps you have realistic expectations and avoid disappointments. It is especially important that you enjoy sex and that you do not just have sex to create a baby. When you are very busy trying to get pregnant , the chance of pregnancy actually decreases.

Chances of pregnancy after six months

After six months, approximately 90% of 17-year-olds are pregnant. About 65% of 25-year-olds are pregnant after six months. It is striking that the chances of pregnancy decrease significantly with age: of women aged 35, only 35% are pregnant after six months.

Chances of pregnancy after two years

About 80 to 95% of women are pregnant after twelve months. After two years, approximately 90 to 95% of women are pregnant. The chance of pregnancy is smallest for women aged 35. Approximately 5% of couples ultimately remain undesirably childless .

How long will it take before I get pregnant?

It is very difficult to estimate how long it will take before you become pregnant. A large study revealed the following data:

  • Couples who have sex on average once a month take an average of 43 months to conceive
  • Couples who have sex an average of 3 times a month take an average of 15 months to conceive
  • Couples who have sex an average of 10 times a month take an average of 5 months to conceive

However, it is unclear what the age and health of the couples studied are.

Scroll to Top